Monday, February 4, 2008

Chapter 2 Part 2

The next weeks would change my life.

I met people who were similar to me. Trying to learn an impossible language for both business and pleasure. People who werent xenophobic and who werent afraid of leaving the comforts of home. People who I still talk to up until this day.

As I became more confident in Chinese I slowly became more confident in my abilities to go out to bars and flirt with girls. This was both therapeutic and a good training experience, as it helped me get comfortable with the idea of kissing other girls, as well as hone my skills in an impossible language.

There were several problems however. If i managed to actually say the right thing at the right time and get a girl to like me, there usually was little room for a second or third date. This was mostly because so much was lost in translation. How on earth was I supposed to talk to a girl who I could barely hold a conversation with unless I was drunk and sucking her face? Too hard.

I remember this one girl, she was very bubbly and me and my friend had hit on her and her friends one night after playing 3-man(great drinking game) for a few hours. Long story short, hanigng out with her at the bar was fun, but during the day when she would call me and try to talk to me I had no idea what to say, so there was nothing there. I somehow ended up making her cry when I yelled at her because her best friend, who was in love with her, tried to tell me that he wanted me to stop seeing her.

I understand, I was the foreign white guy who was hitting on the girl that he was jonesin' for.


I seem to have gotten off on a tangent here, I wanted to touch up on the second point of why fooling around in China is kind of pointless.


Being white and being in China, or much of asia for that matter, is both a blessing and a curse. Far too many girls will hit on you, or take your hits because of the fact that you have money or that you are different. I hate this. I like to be able to get anywhere with a girl because of me and what I say, not because I look a certain way or hold a certain status. But then again, isnt it the same back home? If I tell people my job it helps me, if I work out more and lose weight im better, when I slack and gain poundage im worse off.

I guess in Asia it is just a little overexxagerated.


Either way, it was refreshing to start going out and meeting girls. The thrill of kissing someone who isnt the girl that you've been pining over for the last six months is a much needed medicine. I was forgetting G and starting to actually realize that there really are many more fish in the sea.

And so my adventures in Asia began.

No comments: